History Video

Get to know our History


The well-known Quinta do Convento da Visitação (Our Lady of Visitation Convent) keeps the memory of the Islamic gardens of the Al-Garb andalucien, properties of ancient “Almoxarifes” of Óbidos and Alenquer who, in the end of the Xth century come to the Iberian coastal region  looking for charming and fresh places where to spend summer time. Vila Verde was considered a domain in 1233, during the reign of the king  Sancho I.

Gonçalo de Albuquerque, Gentleman of Vila Verde and father of Alfonso de Albuquerque, (first India Governor), built the first Our Lady of Visitation Convent, that no longer exists. In the beginning of the XVIth Century, a workmanships campaign in the second  convent was initiated  in which João of Castilho  works (at the same time he was projecting the arcades of the Convent in Tomar and Jerónimos  in Lisbon) which were concluded in 1540. From this period are still conserved the Capitols Room, the Sacristy, the Church and the Bell’s tower.

Pedro de Noronha (16th Gentleman of Vila Verde and brother of Alfonso de Albuquerque) tomb dates from 1566, is located in the center of the church. Natércia de Ataíde, the perpetual lover of the famous Portuguese writer Luis de Camões and wife of Pedro de Noronha (7th Gentleman of Vila Verde), is buried in the church galley.

The XVII century marble altar is attributed to João Antunes,  king Pedro II architect.  The church and the main chapel are coated with blue and white tiles from the Joanin and rococo period, being the last possibly ordered to Valentim de Almeida by the convent owner Teresa de Noronha e Bourbon, wife of Marquis of Pombal.


Described in old Coventry documents as a place of great pleasure,  showy and delicious, Quinta do Convento charms have long been celebrated.

Once the summer residence and a Coventry ,  today it is a romantic getaway for people who visits the place.

This magical spot is dominated by steep mountains and lush forests which create a microclimate, always several degrees cooler than surrounding areas .  A promenade inside to visit three other minor chapels, the first dedicated to Saint Diogo, a second to Saint Madeleine and a third to Saint Onofre, is a must.


In 1834, with the extinction of the religious orders in Portugal, the property was acquired in auction by Sebastião Jose de Carvalho, Viscount of Chancelleiros, who builds a magnificent house as well as a cellar to support the vineyards that covered the landscapes of Montejunto mountain.

Major resource throughout the centuries, the water of the convent of Our lady of Visitation was studied at the beginning of the XX century by Prof. Charles Lepierre that classified the spring water of the Source of the Lion (Fonte do Leão) as medicinal, specially adequate for digestive problems treatment. Fonte do Leão spring water is one of first spring waters studied in the Europe, as well as LUSO, EVIAN and VICHY


This important heritage is represented on the MUSEUM WITH NO FRONTIERS 

as a masterpiece of the  baroque art.